10.14.2019

The "I"

The "I" is a place in the world. A realm. A land with its own unique features. "I" exists in space and in time -- IT IS SPACE AND TIME.

A toothache is felt pain. Pain is not something that I HAVE. That grammar confuses the philospher into attributing pain to someTHING. The "I" is not a thing, but a place in the world. It is a place ever-changing.

The "I" extends out to what is familiar and somewhat familiar and not at all familiar. The "I" is a lineage over time and into the future (perhaps). "I" can remember. "I" can forget.

"I" feel pain from a toothache. "I" also feel pain when my mother dies. The philosophers say one pain is internal the other externally caused. The grammar again is confusing and causes books to be written and bad ideas to be made.

Is it possible for others to share this place called "I"? It would seem that in empathy for "my" pain someone else could share this place with me. Then, these places of "I" overlap. Take the example of the death of a child and the pain felt by the mother and father. THEY SHARE A PLACE OF PAIN.

The dangers of the "I" as conceived philosophically are behaviorism and solipsism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Moraline Free